iPosture: Junk Gadget and Total Ripoff

iPosture: Junk Gadget and Total Ripoff

Earlier this year my wife saw a clever gadget on television. It’s called the iPosture; a button-sized gizmo that promises to correct your posture with a quiet, subtle vibrating reminder. The only problem is that it’s a massive ripoff.

We ponied up our $70 to buy it. When it came, I examined it closely and it turns out it’s just a circuit, watch battery, mercury switch and vibration motor… it’s a $5 gadget, though it’s sold at $70.

I wasn’t bitter. I was impressed. The value is there, or would be, assuming it worked… which it doesn’t.

From day one the device was inconsistent and unreliable. Sometimes it would vibrate, most of the time it wouldn’t, and the rest of the time it would vibrate when she was standing in the correct position.

She only wore it a half-dozen times before she forgot about it. I reminded her that we spent good money, and suggested she should wear it again… and it was dead.

We put in a new battery and it was still dead. We went and bought another battery and still nothing.

So I sent an email to iPosture and they informed me it only has a 90-day warranty. Ninety days? Seriously? They only trust their product to work for three-months, and they have no claim that it should be expected to work after that.

We were out-of-warranty by two months. The product was dead after 6-days of use over a five month period and they had no interest in helping us.

We emailed back and forth a few times, and I tried to suggest solutions, but they just kept saying that the warranty is 90-days and that we could purchase another one if we’d like… not sure why I’d give them another $70 for a device even they know won’t last more than 90-days, but that was their response.

So if you’re thinking about a posture correction device, avoid these jokers no matter what you do. There are other devices on the market and all of them are more likely to work for you than this clever, sneaky little cash-drainer.

And the nail in the coffin is their warranty. It’s 90-days. Is it pure coincidence that they only guarantee their product for the exact period of time in which you can reverse charges on your credit card for being ripped off? That’s it. If they offered a zero-day warranty you could still get your money back, so instead they offer a replacement guarantee for the same time period. So either way the consumer loses.

And iPosture, if you’re reading this, I hope you enjoy smoking fancy cigars in hell with my money, but don’t go too crazy, because you’re never getting a penny from me again. I await your Cease & Desist, which I will publish.

Brian first began peddling his humorous wares with a series of Xerox printed books in fifth grade. Since then he's published over two thousand satire and humor articles, as well as eight stage plays, a 13-episode cable sitcom and three (terrible) screenplays. He is a freelance writer by trade and an expert in the field of viral entertainment marketing. He is the author of many of the biggest hoaxes of recent years, a shameful accomplishment in which he takes exceptional pride.

13 Responses to “iPosture: Junk Gadget and Total Ripoff”

There are certain yoga and regular exercises at will that will help.
    And don’t cost anything.

2. Marv says:

I bought one of these stupid things. It never stopped working but it also never worked as promised. Looking back I now realize all the positive reviews online were from people that got a free one to test out for half an hour and thought it was great.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

It is a joke.

3. Mary Beth says:

I bought one of these and mine stopped working after about a month of wearing it. I didnt bother to go through the return prosess because I didn’t have any paperwork.

4. Arjulette says:

My mom bought me one of these. The review is right, it is JUNK. It came with a bunch of batteries but each one only lasted maybe two days before I had to replace it. So basically I have to pay $20 a month just to keep it in batteries. No thanks. You can keep it.

5. Betty says:

I’ve had bad posture for since forever but this didnt help me. I just found this artice because I wanted to see what others were saying about it and mine experince was different. It didnt abuse batteries or die but it just did nothign to correct my posture. It buzzed all the time no matter how I was sitting and I reset it all the time.

Don’t waste your money. Pay somebody to tell you when your slouching and you’ll come out ahead. This product is a joke.

6. Skeptical says:

Thanks for all the comments! I was going to buy this but I guess I’ll keep looking.

7. Marijke says:

Is there an alternative device for $5 available somewhere?

$5??? This thing is on special right now for $74.95. That’s hardly a bargain. I’m saying it’s WORTH $5.

Stand on your head. Total cost $0.

10. Karen C. Scheuermann says:

I pushed the button to start it, but when I bent over, it didn't vibrate. Customer service said to touch the button very briefly or it would turn off and to try a different battery. I tried touching more briefly, and two different batteries. Both were dead and the original one still would only cause vibration when the button was pushed. Customer service said I could send it back for a refund, but not reimburse for postage and could then buy a new one.

11. Karen Scheuermann says:

I pushed the button to start it, but when I bent over, it didn’t vibrate. Customer service said to touch the button very briefly or it would turn off and to try a different battery. I tried touching more briefly, and two different batteries. Both were dead and the original one still would only cause vibration when the button was pushed. Customer service said I could send it back for a refund, but not reimburse for postage and could then buy a new one.

12. Sylvia Jorgensen Villegas says:

Oooooooh. You didn't mention what gadget you're talking about.

13. L P says:

it takes about a minute after bending over to vibrate. I have worn mine for about three weeks right now and it works as promised. I even splurged on a better necklace (not using bras). So far so good, it’s cheaper than Yoga classes or a massage.

The initial battery is ending it’s live span. The spare batteries that came with the device are all dead, though. They probably got a cheap but useless batch of batteries. Going to buy some higher quality ones and testing those.